Yesterday was an important day for the surrogacy journey and it threw me for a bit of a loop! I had some bloodwork done and also an ultrasound to make sure that the meds I’ve been taking are working like they’re supposed to be.
Going into the ultrasound, I knew from my surrogacy community that I wanted my uterine lining to be close to 10mm, and kept hearing that I wanted it to be “triple striped”. This part of the exam went great, my lining is at 10.6mm and is in fact triple-striped. Everything looked “beautiful” which isn’t a compliment my uterus receives a lot, so I’ll take it.
Next the doctor checked my ovaries, and that is where we hit a little snag. The right ovary looked good, we were zipping right along through the exam, but then. *sigh* Then we got to the stinkin left ovary, where a cyst was discovered. Lots of possibilities were discussed, but in a nutshell, these were the two potential outcomes...
1) The cyst could mean that despite the medications, I ovulated, and in this case the cyst would be producing progesterone. If that is the case, it throws off the timing of the transfer, because I’m not set to begin progesterone until next week. The timing of the transfer is actually scheduled to the hour based on my medication schedule — this is to make it the best possible environment for success — so this matters.
2) It’s nothing. It’s empty, not producing hormones, no big deal. (fingers crossed it’s this one)
I had some blood work done to test the levels of everything else, and after discovering the cyst they also tested my progesterone level. If it was elevated, that would tell us immediately that we were looking at outcome #1, which would have us canceling the 11/13 transfer, going off meds, and restarting next month.
It was a long afternoon awaiting test results.
I had another acupuncture session (going great! I love my acupuncturist!) and checked my email - nothing. I had about an hour drive home, and was delighted to see the email waiting for me when I got there.
The good news: right now with the progesterone levels where they are, they are not worried about the cyst causing any issues with the transfer. YAY! However - we aren’t out of the woods yet. I have to go back for another ultrasound and progesterone check next Wednesday to make sure that the rascal isn’t going to cause any issues. So the hope is that it stays quiet over the next week and we can be confident that it’s really no big deal. If all looks good next week we will still be on schedule for the 11/13 transfer. If not, we’ll have to cancel and reschedule. A lot goes into planning for the transfer day - including juggling the schedules of Brad, me, and the four kids, not to mention the precise cocktail of meds taken for 36 days to get me to that point - so rescheduling is quite unappealing personally. The bigger thing, though, is I know the IF’s are hoping for an August baby, since they will have to take a significant amount of time off of work and travel here from France, and that is the best time for them to do so. I know you just never know with a baby, and that they would be delighted regardless of the timing, but I am hoping we can keep on track for the due date they were hoping for!
I’ll update after my ultrasound and labs next Wednesday. Let’s hope for a nice week ahead with NO progesterone!!